10/8/14

The Olympus era

As explained in my previous post I was highly interested in an mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. So the next question was: which one to choose? Well I started searching the internet and reading magazines and the first camera that came across was (at that time in October 2012) the brand new Sony NEX-6. It received very positive reviews and I actually went to a store to ask if I could try one with the intention to buy it. They guy in the shop told me that they only had one of them and that it was for sale and not there was no possibility to try it (even not in the store!). So, sorry, no Sony at that time.

A few days later while I was still searching te internet I came across a blog written by a guy named Shawn BlancIn his blog he explained his search for a compact mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and after a comparison of several cameras such as the Panasonic GX1, Sony NEX-6, and Olympus OM-D EM-5 he choose the Olympus E-PL5. For him it was the perfect combination of photo quality, possibilities and a compact camera. His story seemed logical to me, so I became interested in the E-PL5 and searched for tests and reviews, which were all very positive. Besides the camera itself, the micro four thirds system had a large range of lenses. So I became convinced that this would be my next camera. I went to a store (not the one mentioned before), tried it myself and bought the E-PL5. This was in November 2012. I bought it as a kit with a 14-42mm and a 40-150mm lens and a separate flash.













From the moment I used this camera I loved taking photos. Picture quality was very good and sharp and the system itself was compact and light as I wanted. Off course it was not as compact as a point and shoot camera, but compared to a digital SLR it was almost half the size and weight. I shot amazing pictures with this camera.

After using it for a year I decided that I wanted to learn more about my camera and become a better photographer. So I listed up for a photo course at André Nijenhuis, a Dutch photographer who runs a photo school. It was a 4 day course in November 2013 and he explained everything about exposure and the interaction between aperture, shutter speed and iso and also about the possibilities of my camera and the modes to choose, i.e. the Program mode, Shutter release mode, Aperture mode and Manual mode. In fact I never used the Manual mode before, but soon I learned that it was very easy to use to get the best results. A that time all the pieces of the puzzle came together. I also realized that using the M modus on my Olympus was in fact the modern way of using my first Praktica SLR camera (see previous post).

I started using the M mode more often, but this lead me to a difficult decision te be made. Using the M mode was possible with my E-PL5, but the way it worked was little complicated by using several menu steps to change aperture and shutter speed. So in November 2013 I made a decision to exchange my Olympus E-PL5 (with pain in my heart) for an Olympus OM-D EM-5. The big advantage of the EM-5 is that is has to separate dials for controlling aperture and shutter speed to work with in de M mode. I own my EM-5 for about a year now and I love taking photos with it.